Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Worst Night Mare on this Saturday

My Worst Night Mare on this Saturday....although I thought my day was starting off as usual ..it wasn't to be...and that's not the question either..

I had just started cleaning Ms Shug's cage and she was out and about and getting into my "hair" (literally) so I put her on her perch where she always jumps down and runs the back of the couch laughing and just saying "hello" and more laughs and then usually grabs her treats and eats..

Well not this day..this day she decided to be a BRAT and just not care about what she was gonna get into.. I knew I needed to get all her stuff done quickly as I could see the burning naughty bird just go for anything she could..

I just was putting her feed dishes in her cage when I turned around and couldn't find her..UH OH now where is she..and as I walked up to the couch there she was in the center with the pill box which had Zeke's heart meds ..Opened and she had one in her mouth...I grabbed her quickly and held her mouth open and tilted her over so the pill dropped out and as I looked there were no more pills (which there was only 2 as I had given Zeke his one pill at 6am) I got this sick feeling to my stomach..


I put her in her cage and proceeded to search the couch cover then the floor and nope nothing but crumbs and a few pill pockets..OMG...I'm now breaking out into a cold sweat and I make a quick phone call to the Avian Vet ...which has an emergency number to call as she's not in...so I call that number and tell them all what happened..and they refer me to the "poison control" number.. I then call that and the first thing they tell you that the call will cost you 65 bucks and ask are you willing to pay...

Now of course what can you do you need this info before you can go to that emergency hospital...so I then proceed to tell again what happened and give them the name of the drug Diltiazem 30 mgs ..it's one of Zeke's heart pills..and they ask how much does she weight...she's about 14ozs...

I'm put on hold and I can feel my stomach go in knots..and after what seemed an eternity the nurse came back on and said..."We can't really tell you anything about this drug as we do not have an antidote for it and don't know how it will affect a bird.."...OOOOOOOOOH !!!!!!!!!!!!

Then she says, "you have two choices ..1, wait it out and if you see she can't perch take her to the emergency....2...take her right away and they'll flush her with Active Charcoal..that will absorb what's in her stomach.....then she said, "I'm not going to charge you for this call because we are unable to help you"..

I don't think I could even speak...so then I thought.. let me call the fellow that breeds these birds..so I called Joe, he told me basically the same thing other than if I were to drive down to him he would flush her as well..but he felt I should wait and see cause maybe she didn't eat the pill ..maybe she crumbled it..

Then I called my friend Doris, who also breeds birds and she again said the same thing..and talked to me for awhile to calm me.. I was shaking inside.. Yes, I even cried cause how could I let this happen..

See we immediately go into the blame game and guilt of the Gazooooooo...and I did feel I should have been more careful...I've tried to be and with Shug it's amazing what she is capable of doing...They are truly Houdini's..

So I decided to wait it out..if I saw any signs we'd be driving to the emergency clinic...so I sat and waited and waited..6 hours..my heart was in my throat .. I also realized I hadn't feed Reba and Zeke..Ms Shug had food in her cage and she was eating it...

I got up and fed all then realized again I hadn't taken any of my meds..by this time I was way too late to take a few of them..so I just sat in the chair and watched and watched...

Did I tell you this was one of the worst days of my life...I've had others but this I was heart broken and frightened and alone..nothing I can say can even explain my emotions..

I talked with my friend and neighbor Betsy and she said, "isn't that what they call, "Shit Happens".. I had to laugh cause Betsy doesn't really talk like that..she did really make me laugh and gave me some kind words of support..in fact all I spoke to ..even Joe who I got Ms Shug from said, "he'd keep me in his prayers and he was around if I needed him.."..Doris too was kind and explaining things that happened to her with birds...John also called me off and on all day..Hubby was in total shock and just kept telling me.. "it's not your fault"..but you know you all have had things happen and that's the first thing we do..

After 7 hours Ms Shug was her own self..got loud and barked for her dinner..Thank you Jesus !...me I'm still not well...as these kind of things really hit me hard and most likely tomorrow I'll be a little off kilter...but Ms Shug is ok..

Now I'm ready to go to bed and believe me I will say "Thank You to the Lord " for helping me get through this..I'm so attached to Ms Shug and my fur babes that they are truly my world..

I took a few pictures of Ms Shug as the 21st of June she was 11mos..check these out...What a sweetie..She has made my days full of laugher cept for today...she's gonna owe me big time...

Those traveling Stay Safe and as always  God Bless Us All..and I mean that !

 Ms Shug Lookin Atcha!
Ms Shug given Attitude

1 comment:

  1. So glad Ms Shug is okay and I agree with Li..SHIT Happens!!! and it is definitely not your fault...hope you were able to get some rest last night.

    ReplyDelete